westdance: The Duchesses' Ball at Twelfth Night

Francis Classe torlanswingmeister at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 10:13:26 PDT 2005

Hello all,

Just a cross posting of the post I'd just made to the
SCA-West list regarding the Duchesses' Ball at 12th
Night.  I already have a few musicians lined up, but
if you are keen on playing, do let me know!

Vyncent

P.S.  Anyone have a drum (not a doumbek!)?

Unto the populace of the Kingdom of the West, Vyncent
atte Wodegate sends his greetings.

It is my great pleasure to announce that a Duchesses'
Ball has been planned for the coming Twelfth Night!
You may already have heard whisperings among the
Duchesses about this grand event, but allow me to
describe the revel to all who might enjoy such an
occasion.  Beginning at approximately eight o’clock,
there will be a grand ball hosted by the Duchesses of
the Kingdom, in honor of our new King and Queen.
There must be dancing, singing, food, drink, and
revelry to celebrate the occasion...and so there shall
be!

Not only will there be music for dancing, provided by
some of the finest musicians in the land, but there
will be a fine banqueting table set with all manner of
sweets and subtleties; performances by the Bards of
the West and the Principalities, the West Kingdom
Choir, and many other excellent singers and musicians;
as well as tables set aside for playing card games,
throwing dice, and conversing with friends.
Furthermore, we will be reviving the long-neglected
tradition of the King and Queen of Misrule!

It is said that the Duchesses will be quite
forthcoming with invitations to this grand affair, but
in the event that you cannot muster your courage (or
your purse) to convince these grand ladies, fret not.
Instead, contact your local Countess or Viscountess,
as it is widely rumored that they have a supply of
invitations designed to fool even the sharpest of
Duchesses.

If you would like to brush up on your dancing before
the ball, there are a few regular dance practices that
are well suited to this purpose, such as the Crosston
practice held in San Jose/Menlo Park and the Darkwood
practice held in Morgan Hill/Santa Cruz.  Note that
the music for one of the dance sets of the ball will
be performed exclusively with brass, reed, and
percussion instruments.

More details will be announced as Twelfth Night draws
nearer.  Please feel free to contact me for any
questions regarding the ball or dance practices.
Their Graces look forward to the pleasure of your
company!

In Service,

Vyncent atte Wodegate

Contact info: torlanswingmeister at yahoo dot com
Please cross post as necessary!