westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Francis Classe torlanswingmeister at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 22:55:15 PDT 2007

> me all along. I was only set off by your comparison
> with estampies,
> which we don't know a damn thing about.

To examine another side of the equation =), I cannot
really help but ponder that in some cases, we might be
missing out on something by focusing more on the later
sources that we have a great deal more evidence.
Certainly, more information on dance in the 16th is
available versus 15th, and even earlier, but are we
putting on blinders by sticking only to the sources
that we can draw a fairly certain picture from?  I
agree that some of the 15th stuff, improvisation
especially, has huge gaps, but I'm not sure it means
that we shouldn't dance it and at least try to
recreate what we think some of these forms might be,
based on the best information available.

- V