westdance: More dancing

Matthew Larsen matt1.larsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:30:51 PST 2009

Greetings Daniel!

Thanks for speaking up, it's very useful to hear from people who like
to dance but aren't part of the hardcore dance croud.  It's sometimes
hard for a lot of us to even remember what seemed hard when we started
out. :-)

Can I as a few more questions?

When you say you don't like Geloxia and Contrapasso, is that because
of complexity?  Or is it just that you don't care for them?  Or both?
:-)  Either is a fine answer, I just want to better understand how
people feel about the dances.

Regarding the dance set for 12th Night -- when you say there were more
dances that you weren't interested in doing than ones you were, I'm
guessing you ruled out the ECD dances because they are out of period
(I'm kind of reading between the lines to get that from your later
statement).  Is that true, and if so, do you think that there are a
reasonable number of others who share that feeling?  My preference
would be to go away from them as well, but there's always been an
assumption that a lot of people really like them even if they are out
of period, and won't want to dance _unless_ they're on the list.  If
that isn't so true, I would love to reduce the number of ECD dances we
include.  There are plenty of bransles and almans that could replace
them.

Thanks for your thoughts, and also thanks for having dance at your Investiture!

Geoffrey