westdance: Stanford Historic Dance Week

Crystal A. Larsen xtalrock at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 12:55:05 PDT 2010

"Lieven Baert
Intermediate/Advanced
16th Century Renaissance Dance
Italian, French and Spanish dances - Barriera, Gracca amoroso, Biscia Amoroso, courante, Villano, folia var."

Looks like whoever wrote this class title has mixed up the "16th century" with the "1600's".

Only looking at the dances we don't currently do:

Biscia Amoroso is from Negri
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/negri/transcription/0113.clean.html

The courante developed into a popular couple dance during the mid-seventeenth century and was described in de Lauze's 1623 manual.
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dihtml/diessay4.html

Villano is spanish baroque dance, there's several examples on youtube
Here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKq_oPUQR98

folia var doesn't get many hits. This website (http://www.folias.nl/html5m.html) says the tune was written by Manuel Machado (c.1590-1646). Looks like it's a type of music rather than a dance, but who knows?

all I've got time for, sorry.

xtal