westdance: Renaissance Dance in Golden Playne (Thailand)

Carey Cates isabel at aands.org
Sun Nov 28 22:09:22 PST 2010

Greetings!

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:38:28PM -0800, Klement St.Christoph wrote:

> Greetings, my Lords and Ladies!
> It pleases me to announce that the Canton of Golden Playne in
> the Palatine Barony of the Far West will once again be hosting a
> regular Renaissance dance class in cooperation with the Faculty of
> Arts, Chulalongkorn University.  We will be meeting on Fridays from
> 4:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. in the open-air lobby of the Maha Chakri
> Sirindhorn Building, Chulalongkorn University.
	It is wonderful to hear of more dance practices throughout all the Western lands.

> This Friday, in addition to numerous bransles from Arbeau's
> Orchesography and a few country dances from Playford's English
> Dancing Master, I would like to add the SCA rendition of
> Dr. Brainard's reconstruction of "Gelosia".  Might anyone on this
> list be able to point me to a good website for either the steps of
> the reconstruction or the music?
	Gladly!  As a good starting point for such things in general,
I recommend the SCA Renaissance Dance Homepage :
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance.html There are links to many
resources there that have useful information on Gelosia and much, much
more.  For your specific question here, I suggest looking in the
section of that page called "Big Freely-available works".  The
Renaissance dance cheat sheets, Del's Dance Book, and Joy of Jealousy
all discuss Gelosia.  (Note, there are variations of the dance from
several manuscripts, mostly from Domenico and from Gulielmo Ebreo,
with siightly different repeat structures. I do not remember off the
top of my head which one Brainard taught, though I suspect it might be
Domenico.)  Eric Praetzel's Eric's Music and Dance page has links to
sources and downloads of music for the dances.  I'd start there in
looking for sheet music or MP3s, or whatever form you need music in.

Hopefully that should point you to where to find what you are looking
for.  If not, please do ask the westdance list and I or others on the
list can help you find whatever I may have missed.

Happy dancing,
Isabel D Triana