westdance: [SCA-Xton] Re: Mike's trip to California and Morris dates

Cin cinbarnes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:05:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Jeannie Warner <jeanvieve at gmail.com> wrote:
> SCA Dancer types - in case it was missed, Chaz and Karen (Bronwen) are
> having a Morris Dancer from England stay with them for just over a week,
> 4/19 - 5/3.

Karen & Chaz
I have heard that if you want to keep a Morris Dancer around, you need
only shake bells & wave the occasional hankie.  They are strangely
attracted to these items.

> I know it's off-schedule for Dance practice, but do you want to consider a
> special session of show and tell on each side?

Mike the Morris Dancer,
There is a dance practice every week, with exceptions for major
holidays.  The 2nd & 4th Wens practices are at my house and you, Mike
the Morris Dancer, are  welcome as are Karen, Chaz & Jeannie. Fear
not, for the non-dancers, there's snacks, drinks, and our charming
musicians of the pick-up band to amuse you.  We head for dinner just
up the street afterwards.

The rest of this note is primarily for Mike, Chaz & Karen, but may be
of interest to others interested in various folk dance traditions
outside of SCA.

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM, P V Sutton <pvs at jewelhill.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whilst in CA, Mike has arranged to go to:
>>
>> Berkeley Morris practice evening Tues 23rd April and has a lift arranged
>>
>> California Morris Ale, from Friday 26th April - Sun 28th April and,
>> again, has a lift arranged (presumably after work)

>> Mayday - exactly what and when are still TBA, but I think Mike is hoping
>> that contacts at the Ale will allow him to get lifts to any places where the
>> Morris is being used to see in the May.

I'd bet that's the Baylands May Day dawn dance.   Thank goodness it's
nearby.  It's very important to dance the sun up.  Check the calendar
here:: /deercreekmorris.info/gigs.htm .  Without the Morris dancers
I'm sure we'd not have as much California sun as we do.  Glad you can
help. The other May Day event that I know of is this:
http://californiarevels.org/

There's also a pretty good crossover between Morris & the Contradance
community (see BACDS page).  Much of the US organizational support for
folk dance traditions is thru the Country Dance & Song Society
cdss.org as I recall.

>These too will doubtless involve
>> being picked up from your house - I suppose there is a vague possibility of
>> him trying to see in May morn at dawn...
>>
>> We have no firm (or even infirm) dates for any meetings with SCA people,
>> either those who dance period dances, but not Morris or those who expressed
>> an interest in Morris dancing back when this was first mooted.
>> He will also be interested in hearing how people in the SCA regard
>> Morris, and their attitude to tradition in general - obviously the English
>> tradition is what he is most interested in.

Perhaps I might be considered one of those who pushes the period
social dances in the SCA crowd. I hadnt heard a thing about this until
Jeannie's email came out today.  Here in the San Jose area, we've been
running a 15th-16th Ball every year for quite a while, the Crosston
Ball.  It's usually in Jan or Feb, so your timing's not good for that
one.  As our weather is generally pretty fine, most of the SCA goes
outside to play all spring-summer-fall.  Occasionally, there's an Arts
"do" of one sort or another in the warmer months, but I have not yet
heard of one.

If you were here during an SCA Arts & Sciences (June) or Collegium
weekend (Nov), I would certainly encourage one of your talks or
performances there, but again, you're not in town then.

I have never seen any Morris Dance at any SCA event anywhere near the
SF bay area. Doesnt mean that it doesnt exist, just that I've never
seen it.  That's mostly organized via the local BACDS and English
Country Dance groups.  I can hook you up with Deer Creek
http://deercreekmorris.info/ and possibly Mad Molly people if you
like, tho it sounds as if you already have an invite to their Ale.
Here's more: http://www.bacds.org/teams/

Of the Deer Creek side, Stan Kramer, Bob Fraley, and Ric Goldman are
all active elsewhere in the BACDS community which is how I know them
all. Alan Winston is another good contact who's either with the Rats
or Mad Molly. I can easily introduce you, if you like to any of these
dancers & musicians.

I expect to be at the English Dance  3rd Sun and again 1st Sun in
downtown San Jose at the UU Church. It's a great hall w/ live music.
Several Morris dancers & musicians show up at that event on a regular
basis.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
CinBarnes at gmail.com